Why should I feed my dog freeze-dried raw meat treats?
- Two simple reasons:
- Great for dogs: The digestive system of dogs was designed to consume raw meat and freeze-dried raw treats offer the taste of real meat that every dog craves. They are also a healthier choice than most treats as they are high in protein and free of additives.
- Convenient for pet parents: For us pet parents, freeze-dried raw treats are less messy than having to deal with raw meat. And their low moisture content means we don’t have to worry about refrigerating them to prevent spoilage.
What is freeze-drying? How is it different from air-drying?
- Freeze-drying and air-drying both remove water from meat and fish. With moisture removal, these processes: eliminate the potential for bacteria to grow; preserve ingredients in their natural state; and lock in enzymes, vitamins, minerals and flavor. Freeze-drying uses a high-pressure vacuum to quickly freeze the protein and remove moisture, while air-drying uses hot dry air to remove water. We chose to freeze-dry our products as some nutritional elements can break down when heat is applied in the air-drying process. (Note: Freeze-dried and air-dried meats are both considered raw since neither process uses temperatures high enough to cook the meat/fish.)
My dog has never eaten raw meat before, can he/she eat your treats?
- Absolutely – but start off in moderation. Our dogs are natural carnivores and their bodies are genetically designed to consume raw meat. However, most meat and fish treats are high in protein and consuming too many of them could initially result in an upset stomach. We recommend offering a few treats per day during the first week and monitoring your dog when feeding them. Once your dog’s stomach is used to digesting raw meat, feel free to increase the number of treats consumed each day.
Do your treats have to be refrigerated?
- No need for refrigeration, which means you can take our treats with you anywhere. Because moisture is removed during the freeze-drying process, all of our treats are shelf-stable. However, we remind you to always seal the bag after giving treats to your dog to prevent too much oxygen from getting inside.
Is eating freeze-dried raw meat treats safe for my dog? How do you protect your treats from bacteria?
- We are big fans of freeze-dried raw meat, but you should know where the meat comes from and how it is handled. At Fig & Tyler safety is our top priority, so we use only fresh USDA-inspected meat and fresh fish. (This means the proteins we use are the same quality as you would buy in a supermarket.) Before freeze drying, the meat and fish are washed with ozonated water, which is a natural, chemical-free way to kill bacteria. Finally, we seal our treats in bags using a nitrogen gas flush. This is a safety best practice used in the food industry to keep oxygen out of shelf-stable foods.
We created this brand and these treats for pet parents who, like us, wanted safe treats that were made from healthy, recognizable ingredients. We would never sell anything that we did not feel 100% comfortable feeding to our little guys!
Are any of your treats better suited for different sizes of dogs?
- All dogs will enjoy our treats as meal toppers or as ‘any time’ treats. However, when it comes to training, you want to pick treats that are quick for your dog to eat and digest. So based on the size of your dog, the size of treat that will work best for you will vary. The chart below highlights recommended training treats based on your dog’s size.
Are your treats good for all breeds? All life stages?
- Absolutely – yes and yes. We encourage you to check out the response to the question above about which treats are best for training based on your dog’s size. And one reminder – all of our treats can also be shared with cats.
Can I feed freeze-dried raw meat treats to my cat?
- Cats love raw meat. Unlike dogs, cats are obligatory carnivores, which means they must eat meat to survive. Freeze-dried meat treats offer an easy way to share all of their nutritional benefits with our feline friends without the mess of serving them raw meat.
Some of your treats contain bones; is that not a choking hazard for dogs?
- The risk is very minimal because bones found in some of our treats (duck, minnows and sardines) are raw. Dogs have a digestive system designed to consume raw bones. They will move them very quickly from mouth to stomach. Once in the stomach, bones get dissolved naturally in this highly acidic environment. However, we recommend you monitor your dog whenever food or treats are consumed. In rare instances, a dog may simply vomit the bone up. That is completely normal (it is also nature’s way of saying that treats with bones are not for your dog). But as always, in the event you see signs of pain in your dog, call your veterinarian right away.
Why are you only focused on freeze-dried raw treats?
- We believe raw meat is best for our dogs. However, we also know that not everyone is able to feed a raw meat diet to their dogs. Freeze-dried raw treats are a great way to supplement any diet, be it dry, wet or raw. They are also very effective reward treats for training – and we think a well-trained dog is a happy dog.
How did you select the specific meat and fish proteins for your treats?
- We included proteins that offer not only great raw taste but we hand selected each item based on its natural benefits:
- Liver: Great source of Vitamin A needed for digestion, muscle development and good vision
- Hearts: Natural source of taurine, which supports heart function
- Minnow & Sardines: Rich in omega-3s and great for your dog’s skin and coat (See additional treat benefits on our individual product pages.)
Do you use human-grade meat in your treats?
- The Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO), which oversees the use of labels on pet food and treats in the U.S.A., states that the term ‘human-grade’ can only be used if people can eat the product sold with this label. So legally we cannot say our treats are ‘human grade,’ as humans are not supposed to eat raw meat. In other words, if our treats were cooked, we could make this claim. But then our dogs would be missing out on all the nutrients and great taste associated with raw. We can proudly say that we only use USDA-inspected meat in our products, which means we only use meat that is safe to sell to us humans.
Where do you get the meat and fish that your treats are made from?
- All of our proteins are sourced from farmers in the heartland of the U.S.A. We only use USDA-inspected meat, which means it has to meet the same standards for freshness and quality as the meat you purchase for yourself from a grocery store or a butcher shop.
When will my order ship?
- Your order will generally ship within 24 hours after we receive it. Orders placed over the weekend will ship on Monday. You will receive a shipping confirmation email upon shipment which will include a tracking number for your reference.
How long will it take to get my shipment?
- With Standard Shipping: 3-5 business days. With 2nd Day Air: 2 business days. With Next Day Air: 1 business day.
How can I track my order?
- We will send you a shipping confirmation email with a tracking link once your order leaves our warehouse. You can also login to your figandtyler.com account to check your order status at any time.
Can I ship my order to multiple locations?
- No, unfortunately we are unable to offer multiple points of shipment in a single order. If you are interested in sending our products to multiple locations, please check out separately for each destination.
Do you ship internationally?
- We currently ship only within the 50 United States. However, we are working on expanding our reach to Fig & Tyler fans in international markets and hope to share updates with you soon.
What is your return policy?
- If you or your pet are not completely satisfied with any of the products you purchased on our website, please send us an email to email@example.com. We ask that you include your order number and a brief description of why you wish to return the product. A member of our team will then get in touch with you about next steps. If you prefer to speak with us instead, please give us a call at (212) 457-1335.
Where can I buy Fig & Tyler products?
- You can only buy Fig & Tyler products on this website. Third party retailers mark up the prices on the products that they sell, as they also need to make a profit. We want to keep our prices as low as we can, so we only sell them direct to you.
Are Fig & Tyler real dogs?
- Fig and Tyler are real dogs and they were the inspiration for the Co-Founders to create this brand. The two dogs are best buddies who are inseparable yet total opposites. Fig is a goofy, adventurous Mutt who was rescued by his parents while on an island vacation. Tyler is a pedigree Field Spaniel who is more reserved and wouldn’t trade his life in the big city with his dad for anything. You can find out more about them in the ‘Company Bios’ section of our website.
I am with the media, how can I get in touch with you?
- For any media inquiries, please connect with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If I have a random question or comment about Fig & Tyler, how can I contact you?